Supporting customers with musculoskeletal conditions
Encourage your customers with long term musculoskeletal conditions to be more active.
Be part of the solution to improving their health.
Exercise has been described as a miracle cure. It has benefits for strength, skill, stamina, suppleness, and social connections. The We are Undefeatable campaign is encouraging people with long term conditions to be more active. Musculoskeletal (MSK) conditions are the most common long-term conditions, affecting around 18 million people in the UK of all ages. Being more active is beneficial to people with MSK conditions in almost all cases, so these messages will be reinforced by doctors.
ARMA is holding two webinars for the fitness industry and physical activity providers to help you make the most of these opportunities.
Who should attend?
- Managers in gyms, leisure centres, swimming pools, any provider of activity.
- Companies and voluntary organisations providing activities such as running or cycling clubs, walking groups, etc.
- Local government leisure services and public health staff.
N.B. These webinars are NOT aimed at clinicians or MSK practitioners.
Part 1: Supporting customers with musculoskeletal conditions
31 January 2020, 12.30pm
You will learn:
- The different types of MSK conditions and how physical activity can help them
- Understanding pain, how to support people in pain who want to be active, and why you should.
- How to create a comfortable environment for people who may struggle to be active and keep them coming back
- Some of the challenges for the fitness and wellness sector in welcoming people with MSK conditions and how these might be overcome.
David Vaux, Therapies manager and Exercise project lead Arthritis Action
Benjamin Ellis, Senior Clinical Policy Advisor, Versus Arthritis
Part 2: Services for people with musculoskeletal conditions
7 February 2020, 12.30pm
ESCAPE-pain is a rehabilitation programme for people with chronic joint pain of the knees and/or hips, that integrates educational self-management and coping strategies with an exercise regimen individualised for each participant. It helps people understand their condition, teaches them simple things they can help themselves with, and takes them through a progressive exercise programme so they learn how to cope with pain better. ESCAPE-pain is currently running in over 260 sites including leisure centres, gyms, church halls and community centres.
Good Boost is a water-based rehabilitation programme designed to be fun and beneficial for people with a range of health issues. Also known as aquatic therapy, water-based rehabilitation is highly regarded for a range of musculoskeletal conditions. Good boost sessions can be delivered in any swimming pool.
The webinar will cover:
- How community based exercise programmes can benefit people with musculoskeletal conditions.
- How ESCAPE Pain works in a community setting and what you would need to do to offer this.
- How Good Boost works and how to introduce it into your business.
- Social prescribing and engaging with your local NHS – how to make sure the people who need you know what you have to offer.
We would like to thank Good Boost for supporting these webinars.