Local Government Reference Group: Community Member
NICE are currently seeking applications from members of the public with experience of social care services and understanding of the role of local government.
The Local Government Reference Group advises NICE on the preparation of briefings on a range of public health and social care topics. The briefings contain advice on cost effective and evidence based actions which local service providers can choose to use depending on the local priorities and needs of local communities.
Members of this group will play a key role in making sure that the views of patients and their carers and their experiences and interests inform the development of the guideline and recommendations to the NHS. The lay members are paid an attendance fee to attend these meetings and travel and hotel costs are covered too.
Jessica Fielding, Public Involvement Adviser for NICE, would welcome an application from you if you have:
1) Recent experience (within the last 5 years) or knowledge of social care services (ideally both children’s and adult services) and an understanding of issues important to those who require these services. For example as:
- someone who has experience of using social care services or
- a family member or unpaid carer of the above person or
- someone who has been involved in activities or groups to develop or improve social care services for a community or specific group of people or
- who is a member or officer of a relevant community or voluntary organisation
2) an understanding of, and a willingness to reflect, the experiences and needs of a wide group of people using social care services (gained for example through networks with other service users or carers, or membership of a support group, community group, voluntary organisation, or service user forum)
Information about the recruitment process and all necessary forms can be found here.
The Centre for Public Health are also recruiting separately for ‘professional’ member (local authority senior manager and professionals working in social care or those elected member of a local authority with responsibility for adult or children’s social care or an interest in health and wellbeing). You can view the recruitment page for professionals here.
The closing date for applications is Sunday 15 September 2013.